s Palmer Family Blog: RotaVirus = no joke
Palmer Family Blog

3.26.2008

RotaVirus = no joke

Wesley made his first trip to the ER last night. After drinking barely 8oz all day, and only having 2 wet diapers, I called his pediatrician. The phone nurse at the pedi's office said that we should go ahead and take him to the ER to check for signs of dehydration.

I was so scared. A million thoughts were running through my mind. Was he ok? Would they want to admit him? Would I have to hold him down for an IV?

Since Steve was still sick, and throwing up, I called Mom and she went with me. Fortunately we didn't have to wait long at all, and the doctor at the ER was very nice. He had a 10 month old son too, who had just been sick with something similar.

He diagnosed Wes with RotaVirus and said to continue doing what we had been - pushing clear liquids, letting him rest as much as possible, and waiting it out. He said that it normally lasts about a week. Ugh.

Thankfully Wesley had the RotaVirus vaccine, so he has a "mild" case. And even being sick, he is still his usual, smiley self. He is doing a little better today - he drank a little more, and had fewer runny diapers, but is still quite fussy and clingy. I'm hoping each day will show some improvements.

For you moms and dads out there, this is a great resource for information about RotaVirus. Although the list of symptoms on the site is quite extensive, Wesley only showed the following symptoms: greenish-colored diarrhea, stomach cramps, lack of appetite, and lack of wet diapers.

3 comments:

SpunkyToes said...

I'm sorry you guys were sick. I hope everyone is feeling better and work is calming down for you.

Bonnie said...

I hope he feels 100% soon.

Bonnie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.