s Palmer Family Blog: Making Crayon Melts
Palmer Family Blog

2.18.2009

Making Crayon Melts

I've been wanting to make these crayon melts (got the cool idea here) for some time.

I had great plans to make these last Wednesday evening - but after a wave of storms hit the area, we lost power sometime Wednesday afternoon, and arrived home to a house with no power!

So I started them over the weekend, and on our day off Monday for President's Day, Wesley and I finished making them. It was a lot of fun! Wesley's job was to help get the paper off of the crayons, which he thought was best done by using his teeth. :) So in the end I peeled the paper and he just colored.

This is such an easy and fun project! Although Wesley couldn't really be too hands-on since it requires melting wax in the oven, he loved coloring while watching me.

Materials that we used:

- Crayons
- Candy mold (any shape/size)
- Cupcake liners (I used some leftover from Halloween)
- Cookie sheet
- Parchment paper (to line the cookie sheet)






Super-easy instructions:
1. Peel the paper off of the crayons
2. Break the crayons in half and place in a cupcake liner (I did 3-4 crayons of like colors, in each)
3. Line your cookie sheet with parchment (I guess this isn't absolutely necessary, but I did it just in case the cupcake molds leaked
4. Put in a 350 degree pre-heated oven for about 5-7 minutes until all of the crayons are melted. I did 3-4 cupcake liners per batch because you have to work rather quickly once it comes out.
5. Remove the wax from the oven and immediately begin filling the candy molds. You have to work rather quickly so that the wax doesn't set up. But the good news is that if you get side-tracked (like I did!), you can just pop the wax back into the oven and melt again!











They turned out great! Once they were cooled, we packaged them up and gave them to Wesley's friends for Valentine's Day (a day late!)

1 comment:

Kristine said...

LOVE this idea!! Thanks for sharing. I can't wait to try with Natalie!!