Spending three days a week home alone with Wesley is fun, exciting and sometimes nerve racking.
Staying at home with him is much different than I imagined it would be. I dreamed of baby screaming 10 hours a day, and then smiling like crazy when his Mom came home from work. Thank goodness it was just a dream!
Even though I had gotten the hang of taking care of Wesley during the 8 weeks Deanna was home, the first day I was home alone with Wesley I was scared to death. Of course, on the day Deanna went back to work - Wesley woke up at the crack of dawn. All I could think was - 'I'm so tired, how am I going to keep him amused all day long?' But after feeding him, to my surprise he went right back to sleep! But I didn't. I was afraid if I took a nap that I wouldn't hear him wake up until he was screaming beyond control b/c at nighttime I rarely hear him when he wakes up.
All of my fears subsided later that day when he looked me directly in the eye and gave me a great big smile. It made me feel awesome - like I had really accomplished something. His smile made me think that he was saying "Hang in there Daddy, you're doing a good job." After that one little smile, my whole outlook changed and I felt like there wasn't anything I couldn't do with him.
After a few days of worrying about what I should and shouldn't do and when I should do things, the second week at home was a breeze. I was truly amazed at how much I have learned in only a week at home with him. Although I thought I really "knew" him before that time, there were so many of his noises and movements that I didn't really "know."
So my 2 cents... a lot of being a Dad comes naturally, which I never imagined it would. I know that I can do whatever I'd like with Wesley now. And although I'm not ready to tackle two little ones, I really enjoy this quality time with our son.
- Steve
8.30.2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment